THE BUCHAREST OF ARCHITECT LOUIS PIERRE BLANC
Louis Pierre Blanc (1860-1903) was one of the most prolific creators of the late XIXth century, playing an important part in the devising of the capital of Carol the Ist’s new kingdom (1839-1914). Arriving in Bucharest at the beginning of the year 1884, at the recommendation of his friend and colleague from the Paris Fine Arts School, Ion Mincu (1852-1912), the young Swiss man comes across many career opportunities. During the following 19 years he works on the Ministry of Agriculture, the College of Medicine, the Bacteriology Institute, the Botanical Gardens hothouses, the Blanc houses, Nicolae Filipescu, Hermann Spayer, Mauriciu Blank, the extension of the Tache Ionescu house, and Ion Lahovary’s house and property. Each one of these accomplishments will be presented during the conference, starting with the owners’ stories and the archived plans.
Out of the buildings no longer standing we note: the Botanical Institute (1888-1889), the Louis Blanc – Aloys Brémond (1888-1889) building which stood at nr. 124 Victoria Avenue (across from Stirbey Palace), the house of Elena, widow of General Gheorghe Adrian (1890), which used to be located at nr. 2 Povernei Street, where it crosses with Vasile Alecsandri Street, and the Schewitz-Thierrin Institute (1895) at nr. 52 Scaune Street.
Marking 111 since the disappearance of the Swiss architect, the Association and publishing house The History of Art launched in September 2014, at the Ministry of Agriculture Palace, the first monographic album, titled “Louis Pierre Blanc, a Swiss canvas in the service of Romania”, portraying the results of research in the Romanian National Archives, the French National Archives, the documentary funds from the Geneva Archives, as well as from private collections. The album’s authors are art historian drd. Oana Marinache and photographer and graphic designer Cristian Gache. The work was published with the help of the Swiss Confederation Embassy in Romania, the Swiss Sponsors Fund in Romania, and Mrs. Mihaela Stoica.
The flyer dedicated to Louis Pierre Blanc was also published by The History of Art Publishing House, and contains information on the Swiss architect’s career, spanning over a period of 19 years. The tourist attractions, which are also included in a guided tour through Bucharest, include public buildings, as well as private ones, the tour being available on foot or extended with the help of means of transportation to certain monuments (at the College of Medicine and the Bacteriology Institute, then the Botanical Gardens).
The two works can be purchased at the Bucharest Municipality Museum stand from Wednesday to Sunday.
Oana Marinache is an art historian, president of the Art History Association and the author of monographs “Cristofi Cerchez, an old architect of Bucharest,” “The Stirbey Properties of Bucharest and Buftea: architecture and interior decoration” and the recent “Louis Pierre Blanc…a Swiss drawing board in the service of Romania.”
Past events with Oana Marinache:
The entry fee is 7 lei. This includes a ticket for the museum’s exhibitions.
The following Thursday conferences:
March 5th 2015 – The Photographer Moritz Benedict Baer, with Emanuel Bădescu
March 12th 2015 – The Evolution of the Vatra Luminoasă Neighborhood, with Andrei Răzvan Voinea
March 19th 2015 – Petre Antonescu and the architecture of Bucharest, with Sidonia Teodorescu